Follow in the footsteps of Heroes
on an In The Footsteps®
Richard III Tour
Richard III was born in Fotheringhay Castle, Northamptonshire on 2nd October 1452. He was crowned the
King of England at the age of 32 and ruled for just 2 years from 1483 until his untimely death in
Richard was killed in battle at Bosworth Field and was the last English King to die in battle bringing an end to the Wars of the Roses and the Plantagenet dynasty.
From battlefield to feasting hall, church to cathedral, you will follow in the king's footsteps to his incredible rediscovery and re-internment at Leicester Cathedral.
These tours are designed to excite and enthral all those interested in medieval and Plantagenet times as illuminated through the life of one of England’s most notorious kings.
Each tour is led by our expert battlefield guide, historian and archaeologist, David Harvey. At each site he will set the scene and explain what happened, where and why, in a clear and succinct way — and he won't confuse you or bore you with confusing detail you'll never remember.
Our 2-day Flexi Tour
This two-day tour is based in Leicester and visits East Midland locations to gain insight into the life and death of King Richard III. The tour commences at the Kings birthplace, Fotheringhay Castle, with an introduction to his remarkable story of championing the House of York in the Wars of the Roses and ascendency to Kingship.
Your tour begins at 09:00 am when your guide meets you at your hotel in Leicester or at Jubilee
Square. We travel to Fotheringhay Castle before being given an introductory talk about Richard’s
role in the struggles between the royal houses of York and Lancaster. Visit the Yorkist shrine in
the parish church.
We head to the battlefield of 'Losecoat Field' where an account of the battle of 1470 will be given. Then on to Oakham Castle in the trail of the victorious Yorkist army to witness the continuing influence of these times.
Refreshments and lunch can be taken at the Castle Gardens Café.
In the afternoon we return to Leicester city centre for a walking tour of notable Ricardian locations including the Blue Boar Inn, Bow Bridge and St. Mary de Castro Church. Throughout this trail you will be introduced to King Richards' preparations to meet the emerging challenge from Henry Tudor.
Return to your hotel or enjoy the extensive range of city centre attractions and restaurants.
We start by driving to Bosworth Battlefield Visitors Centre. Your guide will give a familiarisation
tour of Ambion Hill, Richard's camp the day before the fateful battle. We then move on to the
newly discovered battlefield site on Redemoor. Here your guide will explain the conduct of the
battle in the fields in which it was fought. We return to the Centre for refreshments and take time
to explore the exhibition on the battle and War of the Roses.
After lunch we return to Leicester where your guide will give you an account of Leicester University's discovery of the Kings body at the location of Greyfriar's Monastery. The tour then accesses the excellent RIII Visitors Centre where his life is set into context and the amazing detective work to identify his skeleton is explained. Refreshments are available here. The tour ends at St. Martin's Cathedral where King Richards tomb, is on display.
Please note: Itineraries are subject to change due to operational reasons. Any changes will be advised closer to the time of departure.
The cost of your tour
The cost of our King Richard III Flexi Tour is £525.00 per person.*.
This price per person are based upon:
- Two people sharing a twin room.
- A minimum of 4 people touring. If less than 4 people travelling we will produce a specific proposal for your consideration.
- Travel in a dedicate tour vehicle driven by our expert battlefield historian / guide.
A supplement of £160.00 GBP * applies where single occupancy is required.
A deposit of 30% or £200.00 per person, whichever is the greater, is payable on booking.
An additional supplement may apply for anniversary dates to cover any increase in the associated costs.
Booking indicates your acceptance of our Tour Terms and Conditions.
* The costs may vary from those shown above due to the availability and selection of hotels and other associated costs.
What your tour includes
- In-tour land travel only.
- 2-days escorted tour of the battlefields with one of our expert Battlefield Guide.
- All museum admission fees.
- Accommodation for 2 nights at one of our 3-star partner hotels.
- The opportunity to discuss your battlefield travel plans with our expert team.
What your tour does not include
- Personal expenses.
- Personal travel insurance.
All of our Flexi-date tours can have optional extras added to them. We can, for example, add any of the following to your tour: -
- Transfer to the battlefield area.
- Ferry crossings or Eurostar from the UK.
- Accommodation the night before the tour.
- Accommodation the night night after the tour.
- All inclusive.
- Additional days.
Customising your Flexi-date tour
All of our Flexi-date tours are fully customisable to allow you to see the sites that are most important to you. Where changes to the standard itinerary are made there may be an additional charge to cover the associated additional costs.
Your money is safe. We are members ot the TTA and all monies paid to us are held in a trust account and cannot be drawn down by us until the tour is over.
Why travel with In The Footsteps?
- We have over 16 years experience in designing and operating Private Battlefield Tours, Battlefield Studies and Staff Rides.
- Our team of battlefield historians and guides are selected for their experience, depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to tell the story in an entertaining and engaging way. The majority are accredited members of the prestigious Guild of Battlefield Guides. This means they endeavour to maintain high levels of good practice commensurate with the Guild's ethos.
- We operate a full booking, planning and design service.
- Office is open 24-hours a day whilst the tour is operating.
- Combined Employers and Public Liability Insurance (a copy can be supplied upon request).
Enquire About Your Richard III Tour Today
If you are interested in an In the footsteps® Richard III Tour click on the button
which will take you to our Enquiry Form. On the form tell us where you want to go, when and for how
Return to previous page
Page last updated: 25 October 2020.