Follow in the footsteps of heroes
on our In The Footsteps®
Classic Miracle of Dunkirk Tour
Our Classic Miracle of Dunkirk Tour is based in Dunkirk and you will visit the most significant sites of the withdrawal, defence of the perimeter and evacuation that took place in late May and early June 1940. Your battlefield historian will recount some of the actions that took place and tell you some of the true stories behind the epic films that have been made about this momentous event. You will hear about acts of valour performed by the men who took part and remember the fallen who gave their lives so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have today. You will follow in the footsteps of the heroes that saved Britain's beleaguered Army and defended modern civilisation.
The details of your tour
Our tour begins when we depart from your agreed pick-up point in Dunkirk at 09:00 am. Our first stop of Day 1 is Le Paradis where we discuss the massacre of British soldiers by members of the 14th Company, SS Division Totenkopf, under the command of Hauptsturmführer Fritz Knöchlein.
From Le Paradis we head to Saint-Venant where we discuss the 1st Battalion, the Royal Welch Fusiliers, who with the 2nd Battalion, the Durham Light Infantry and some Royal Berkshires, held the crossing over the canal against the SS-Regiment Germania between 22 and 27 May 1940.
It is then on to Hazebrouck to discuss the defence of GHQ by Woodforce, before continuing to Hondeghem where we discuss the defence by K (Hondeghem) Battery, the 5th Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.
We then head to Cassel to discuss the actions of the 145th Infantry Brigade before ending the day at the Wormhout Massacre Memorial to remember the British and French prisoners of war murdered by Waffen-SS soldiers from the 1st SS Division (Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler) on 28 May 1940.
Our second day focuses on the defence of the perimeter and the evacuation. During the day we walk along the beach and look at some of the wrecks, but this is dependant upon the time of the tide and the structure of this day is therefore fluid to facilitate this. During our second day we visit locations at Bray Dunes, Zuydcoote and Leffrinckoucke, including the Fort des Dunes, Zuydcoote hospital site, Widerstandsnest ZWN Berlin, Stützpunkt Bernhard, and the wreck of the Crested Eagle.
Our final day of the tour focuses on the evacuation and we will visit the Malo les Bains Memorial, Dunkirk Memorial at the beach, the Dunkirk Museum, East Mole, Princess Elizabeth and Dunkirk Memorial and Cemetery. The day will end with your battlefield historian taking you to your agreed drop-off location and bidding you farewell.
The cost of your tour
The typical cost of our 3-days / 2-nights Classic Miracle of Dunkirk Tour is £850.00 GBP * per
This price per person are based upon:
- Two people sharing a twin/double room.
- A minimum of 4 people touring. If less than 4 people travelling we will produce a specific proposal for your consideration.
- Travel in a dedicate tour vehicle driven by our expert Battlefield Historian / Guide.
A supplement of £150.00 GBP * applies where single occupancy is required.
A supplement may apply for anniversary dates to cover any increase in the associated costs.
Booking indicates your acceptance of our Tour Terms and Conditions
* The costs may vary from those shown above due to the availability and selection of hotels and other associated costs, and variations in the exchange rate.
What your tour includes
- In-tour land travel only.
- 3-days escorted tour of the battlefields with one of our expert Battlefield Guides.
- Comprehensive touring of all the major battlefield sites, including many of the less frequently visited out-of-the-way sites.
- All museum admission fees.
- 2-nights accommodation at one of our 3-star partner hotels.
- The opportunity to visit specific cemeteries and graves within tour area (as agreed prior to your tour).
- The opportunity to discuss your battlefield travel plans with our expert team.
What your tour does not include
- Personal expenses.
All of our Classic Tours can have optional extras added to them. We can, for example, add any of the following to your tour: -
- Transfer to the battlefield area.
- Ferry crossings or Eurostar from the UK.
- Accommodation the night before the tour.
- Accommodation the night night after the tour.
- All inclusive.
- Additional days.
Customising your Classic Tour
This Classic Tour has been designed to give a balanced view of the withdrawal, defence and evacuation from Dunkirk. We can of course adjust the tour to concentrate more on the withdrawal, defence or evacuation phases, to follow in the footsteps of a particular unit or individual or arrange a different pick up and drop off location. These personalised tours are designed specifically for you so that you get to see what you want to see.
Where changes to the standard itinerary are made there may be an additional charge to cover the associated additional costs.
Your money is safe. We are members ot the TTA and all monies paid to us are held in a trust account and cannot be drawn down by us until the tour is over.
Why travel with In The Footsteps?
- We have over 16 years experience in designing and operating Private Battlefield Tours, Battlefield Studies and Staff Rides.
- Our team of battlefield historians and guides are selected for their experience, depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to tell the story in an entertaining and engaging way. The majority are accredited members of the prestigious Guild of Battlefield Guides. This means they endeavour to maintain high levels of good practice commensurate with the Guild's ethos.
- We operate a full booking, planning and design service.
- Office is open 24-hours a day whilst the tour is operating.
- Combined Employers and Public Liability Insurance (a copy can be supplied upon request).
Enquire About Your Classic Miracle of Dunkirk Tour Today
If you are interested in this tour please contact us on email@example.com or click on the button below which will take you to our Enquiry Form. Either way, please tell us which tour you are interested in, when you would like to go and how many people there are in your party. You will receive a reply within 24 hours.
Return to previous page
Page last updated: 22 January 2021