Follow in the footsteps of Heroes
on an In The Footsteps®
Battle of the Bulge Tour
Join one of our Expert guides on a tour of the Battle of the Bulge battlefields, follow the battle and
see how it developed.
Follow in the footsteps of 277th Volksgrenadier Division as they assault against the 393rd Infantry Regiment of the US 99th 'Checkerboard' Infantry Division in the opening phase of the Battle of the Bulge. Follow the route taken by SS-Standartenführer Joachim Peiper's men in their inital thrust of the Battle of the Bulge as they drove westwards through the American lines. Visit the places associated with the battle in the northern sector including the Dragon's Teeth at Hollerath, Krinkelt, Lanzerath, Baugnez, Malmedy, Stavlot, La Gleize and Stoumont.
Explore the battlefield of the centre battle where Manteuffel's Fifth Army attacked the US 28th and 106th Infantry Divisions. Visitng the sites associated with the fighting in the centre including St Vith and Houffalaize.
Visit the area around Bastogne and the sites of the defence of that town by the US 101st Airborne Division. Including those associated with Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment — The Band of Brothers. Retrace the route taken by General Patton's Third Army as they swung northwards to relieve the beleagured defenders of Bastogne.
Our 3-days / 2-nights Flexi Tour
Day 1: The Northern Sector and Kampfgruppe PIEPER
The first day of your tour of the Battle of the Bulge battlefields concentrates on the northern
battlefield area. It begins with the launch of the German counteroffensive on 16th December 1944 before
following the actions associated with battle against Kampfgruppe PEIPER.
We begin the first day of your tour when we collect you from your agrred pick-up point in the local area (e.g. a hotel reception) at 09:00 am.
Our first stop of the day is at Hollerath, just over the border in Germany, we take a look at Hitler's Westwall or Siegfried Line as it was called by the Allies. We then move into the woods nearby from which the German 277th Volksgrenadier Division, that was one of the three Infantry Divisions assigned to the I SS Corps, began their assault against the 393rd Infantry Regiment of the 99th Infantry Division at 8:00 hrs on Saturday 16th December 1944 in the opening phase of the Battle of the Bulge.
From Holerath we head back into Belgium to Lanzerath where the Intelligence & Reconnaissance Platoon, 394th Infantry Regiment were hit by a rolling artillery barrage, without any warning, as they kept watch in their outpost trenches on the high ground to the northwest of the village. Here they were to meet the full force of the German assault as it crossed the border as the enemy began their advance.
From Lanzerath we head to Krinkelt and the memorials to the 99th Infantry Division and 2nd Infantry Division. From Krinkelt we head west to the 1st Infantry Division at Büllingen and then on to the site of the Malmédy Massacre at Baugnez. From Baugnez we begin following in the footsteps of SS-Standartenführer Joachim Peiper's Kampfgruppe as there tried in vein to secure vital fuel supplies for the German advance. We follow them through Stavlot, La Gleize and Stoumont and on to the furthest point they reached.
We then head back to Stoumont to discuss the actions of the 150 men of Lieutenant Colonel Friedrich August Freiherr von der Heydte's Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 (6th Parachute Regiment) that had parachuted behind the lines take and hold the crossroads at Belle Croix in advance of Kampfgruppe PIEPER's drive. From Stoumont were return to La Gleize to discuss Kampfgruppe PIEPER's final stand before they abandoned thier tanks and withdrew on foot. We finish the day by visiting the December 1944 Museum with its King Tiger before heading south to Bastogne where you are dropped off at your hotel.
Day 2: St Vith and Center
We depart to begin the second day of our tour from your hotel reception at 09:00 am.
Day two is spent exploring the battlefield in the area where General der Panzertruppe von Manteuffel's Fifth Panzer Army opened up the massive gap to envelop the 106th Infantry Division, captured St Vith and almost reaching the River Meuse. We will look at how the Americans threw up dams in places like Parker's Crossroads and how British troops joined the fight to push back the Bulge that von Manteuffel's Fifth Panzer Army had created.
Day two will draw to a close around 17:30 hrs as we return south to Bastogne where you will be dropped off at your hotel.
Day 3: Bastogne and Southern Sector
We depart to begin the third day of our tour from your hotel reception at 09:00 am.
The morning of day three is spent exploring the battlefield in and around Bastogne following in the footsteps of the 'Band of Brothers' (Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment) in Bois Jacques and nearby Foy. In the afternoon we visit the Barracks (subject to availability) that was General Anthony McAuliffe's headquarters during the siege. We will also discuss the relief of Bastogne by General George S Patton's Third Army and visit the Bastogne War Museum and nearby Mardasson Memorial.
This brings your tour to an end and we return you to your pick-up point or other agreed local dropped off location at approximately 17:30 hrs for your onward travel.
Please note: Itineraries are subject to change due to operational reasons. Any changes will be advised closer to the time of departure.
The cost of your tour
The typical cost for a 3-days / 2-nights Battle of the Bulge Flexi Tour is £850.00 GBP * per
This price per person are based upon:
- Two people sharing a twin/double room.
- A minimum of 4 people touring. If less than 4 people travelling we will produce a specific proposal for your consideration.
- Travel in a dedicate tour vehicle driven by our expert Battlefield Historian / Guide.
A supplement of £150.00 GBP * applies where single occupancy is required.
A deposit of 30% or £200.00 GBP per person, whichever is the greater, is payable on booking.
A supplement may apply for anniversary dates to cover any increase in the associated costs.
Booking indicates your acceptance of our Tour Terms and Conditions
* The costs may vary from those shown above due to the availability and selection of hotels and other associated costs, and variations in the exchange rate.
What your tour includes
- In-tour land travel only.
- 3-days escorted tour of the battlefields with one of our expert Battlefield Guides.
- Comprehensive touring of all the major battlefield sites, including many of the less frequently visited out-of-the-way sites.
- All museum admission fees.
- 2-nights accommodation at one of our 3-star partner hotels.
- The opportunity to visit specific cemeteries and graves within tour area (as agreed prior to your tour).
- The opportunity to discuss your battlefield travel plans with our expert team.
What your tour does not include
- Personal expenses.
All of our Flexi-date tours can have optional extras added to them. We can, for example, add any of the following to your tour: -
- Transfer to the battlefield area.
- Ferry crossings or Eurostar from the UK.
- Accommodation the night before the tour.
- Accommodation the night night after the tour.
- All inclusive.
- Additional days.
Customising your Flexi-date tour
All of our Flexi-date tours are fully customisable to allow you to see the sites that are most important to you. Where changes to the standard itinerary are made there may be an additional charge to cover the associated additional costs.
Your money is safe. We are members ot the TTA and all monies paid to us are held in a trust account and cannot be drawn down by us until the tour is over.
Why travel with In The Footsteps?
- We have over 16 years experience in designing and operating Private Battlefield Tours, Battlefield Studies and Staff Rides.
- Our team of battlefield historians and guides are selected for their experience, depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to tell the story in an entertaining and engaging way. The majority are accredited members of the prestigious Guild of Battlefield Guides. This means they endeavour to maintain high levels of good practice commensurate with the Guild's ethos.
- We operate a full booking, planning and design service.
- Office is open 24-hours a day whilst the tour is operating.
- Combined Employers and Public Liability Insurance (a copy can be supplied upon request).
Enquire About Your Battle of the Bulge Tour Today
If you are interested in this tour please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the button below which will take you to our Enquiry Form. Either way, please tell us which tour you are interested in, when you would like to go and how many people there are in your party. You will receive a reply within 24 hours.
Return to previous page
Page last updated: 16 July 2021.