Join us for our In The Footsteps® Battle of Dunkirk Anniversary Tour.
Operation DYNAMO took place between 27 May 1940 and 4 June 1940 and was the evacuation of large numbers of Belgian, British, and French troops who were cut off and surrounded by the German Blitzkrieg during the six-week Battle of France. Also known as the Miracle of Dunkirk, it saw the evacuation of 338,226 Allied soldiers from Dunkirk by a hastily assembled fleet of over 800 vessels, many of which were the ‘small ships’, in just 8-days.
The BEF lost 68,000 soldiers during the disastrous French Campaign of 1940; it abandon nearly all of its tanks, vehicles, and equipment, and in his speech “we shall fight on the beaches” on 4 June Winston Churchill told the country that “we must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations.”
Discover the incredible story behind the evacuation and pay tribute to all the allied soldiers, sailors and airmen involved in the operation and who created 'The Dunkirk Spirit', a symbol of hope and resistance.
5-Days / 4-Nights Tour
Thursday, 28 May 2021
Travel to Dunkirk
- Pick up from Reading Services, Maidstone Services & Dover Ferryport
- Catch the Dover to Dunkirk Ferry
- Check into your tour hotel and settle in
- Orientation brief
Friday, 29 May 2021
Focus on BEF withdrawal
- Paradis massacre
- Hazebrouck actions
- Hondeghem actions
- Lunch - under own arrangements
- Cassel actions
- Wormhout memorial
Saturday, 30 May 2021
Focus on BEF Perimeter
- Bastion 32 Museum visit
- East Mole
- Malo les Bains Memorial
- Leffrinckoucke - Fort des Dunes Museum visit
- Zuydcoote hospital site
- De Panne memorials and beach
- Beach walk - shipwrecks
- 12th FR Div Memorial
- Nieuport actions
Sunday, 31 May 2021
- Dunkirk Memorial
- Dunkirk Harbour
- See the Small Ships
Monday, 1 June 2021
- Check out of hotel
- Travel to Dunkirk Ferryport
- Catch the Dunkirk to Dover Ferry
- Drop off Dover Ferryport, Maidstone Service & Readings Services
This itinerary is not set in stone and may be changed, as required, to facilitate attendance at the commemoration or for operational reasons.
The cost of your tour
The cost for our 5-days / 4-nights In The Footsteps® Battle of Dunkirk Anniversary Tour is £1,060.00 GBP per person.
A deposit of £300.00 GBP is payable in order to book your tour. The final balance of £760.00 GBP will be due 8 weeks prior to your tour (2 April 2021).
A supplement of £140.00 GBP applies where single occupancy is required.
Price per person based upon a minimum of 4 people and a maximum of 7 per tour vehicle. Please note the tour will not go ahead if the minimum number do not book.
If you prefer a private tour for just two people there will be a supplement of £690.00 GBP per person, sharing the same room (double or twin subject to availability). If single accommodation is required an additional supplement of £140.00 GBP per person will apply.
Booking indicates your acceptance of our Tour Terms and Conditions
What your tour includes
- Full Services of a Battlefield Historian/Guide throughout the tour.
- Visits to all locations listed in the itinerary.
- Pick up and drop off at one of our set location.
- 3 star hotel accommodation in Dunkirk.
- Breakfast for 4 days.
- Museum entrance fees.
- Full administration and booking service.
- 24 hour on call UK Duty Manager Service throughout your tour.
What your tour does not include
- Lunches and evening meals.
- Travel insurance.
- Personal expenses.
Your accommodation for your tour will in one of our 3 star partner hotels.
You will be told in which hotel you will be accommodated prior to booking your tour, please make sure you are happy with it as changes may not be possible after booking.
Your Battlefield Historian/Guide is an established member of our team and is experienced in leading tours to the battlefields of the Second World War.
The Battlefield Historian/Guide will meet you daily at your hotel reception prior to departure.
Your money is safe. We are members ot the TTA and all monies paid to us are held in a trust account and cannot be drawn down by us until the tour is over.
Why travel with In The Footsteps?
- We have over 16 years experience in designing and operating Private Battlefield Tours, Battlefield Studies and Staff Rides.
- Our team of battlefield historians and guides are selected for their experience, depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to tell the story in an entertaining and engaging way. The majority are accredited members of the prestigious Guild of Battlefield Guides. This means they endeavour to maintain high levels of good practice commensurate with the Guild's ethos.
- We operate a full booking, planning and design service.
- Office is open 24-hours a day whilst the tour is operating.
- Combined Employers and Public Liability Insurance (a copy can be supplied upon request).
Enquire About Your In The Footsteps® Battle of Dunkirk Anniversary Tour Today
If you are interested in an In The Footsteps® Battle of Dunkirk Anniversary Tour click on the button which will take you to our Enquiry Form. On the form please tell us that you want to book our Dunkirk Anniversary Small Group Tour.