Over the years researching for our tours we have compiled a comprehensive library of photographs that were taken on the battlefields that we visit and corresponding photographs that we have taken in the same place. These "Then and Now" pictures were taken for our own personal reference, but now we want to share these with you. They appear in no particular order and we hope that you find them thought provoking, useful and in some cases even evocative.
All of these "Then and Now" shots are the intellectual property of Ian R Gumm. Please do not copy or redistribute them without our prior consent and where consent is give they must carry an appropriate accreditation to him — © Ian R Gumm.
This photograph was taken looking up the N30 leading out of Houffalaize and is close to the site where the Panther tank stands today.
The destroyed building was the school and this is one of a number of views of the Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) assault gun taken after the battle.
The railway station at Berniéres-sur-Mer is close to JUNO Beach where the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada came ashore on D-Day, 6th June 1944. The photograph shows German POWs waiting at the station.
The 505th Parachute Infantry Regimental Aid Station set up by the 307th Airborne Medical Company at La Fière to the west of Sainte-Mère-Église shortly after its capture on D+3, 9th June 1944.
American paratroopers fire into the steeple of the church at Sainte-Mère-Église on D-Day, 6th June 1944.
Bihain was liberated by US 83rd Infantry Division around 10th/11th January 1945 during the Battle of the Bulge, "Hitler's last throw of the dice".
Stoumont was the scene of fierce fighting between the Americans of the 119th Infantry Regiment, 30th Division and the German Fallschirmjager supported by tanls of Sturmbannführer Werner Pötschke's SS Panzer Regiment 1 "LSSAH" on 19th December 1944.
Traffic being directed in-land from Juno Beach passing in front of the church at Berniéres-sur-Mer shortly after D-Day, 6th June 1944.