Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery is located in the small hamlet of Fromelles which is situated in the Nord/Pas de Calais region of Northern France. It is 22 kilometres (13½ miles) west of Lille and 104 kilometres (65 miles) south east of Calais. The cemetery is sign posted from the main N41 Lille — La Basse road and is on Rue de la Basse Ville near the church and civil cemetery.
Designed by Barry Edwards, Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery is the final resting place of 250 Australian and British soldiers. Their whose remains were recovered in 2009 from a number of mass graves located behind nearby Pheasant Wood where they had been buried by the Germans following the disastrous battle of Fromelles on 19th and 20th July 1916. There are 219 Australians, of which 75 are unidentified, 2 unidentified British soldiers and 29 entirely unidentified soldiers.
It was completed in July 2010 and is the first new war cemetery to be built by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in fifty years. The cemetery was officially dedicated on 19th July 2010 in the presence of Her Excellency, Ms Quentin Bryce AC, Governor General of Australia; His Royal Highness Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales; government representatives, relatives and 5500 spectators. At the dedication ceremony one remaining unidentified soldier, the 250th, was reinterred, being laid to rest by a contingent made up of soldiers from the Australian and British Armies. The ceremony was televised around the world and was a fitting conclusion to several years of remarkable work.